Amsterdam

Amsterdam was waaayyyy more fun than I thought it would be. You hear about Amsterdam for only one thing (and I think you know what I mean), I didn't really think there would be any more to it. But Amsterdam was a world of wonders. Let's take a look. (Oh and there's a picture that might be offensive to some, it's not too bad... just know you were warned)

So, our trip to Amsterdam started out a bit shakily. Ashley and I had a helluva time getting to Fiumicino airport to make our plane. It was pouring rain and somehow a tree had gotten knocked over onto the train tracks, delaying our train to the airport. The train itself was packed beyond comprehension, standing room only with our suitcases. Then we finally got to the airport super late and had to run to the check in line, except I got off on the wrong floor on the elevator and got lost. Great. We finally checked in and ran to the security line. The security line was hundreds of people long. We had 15 minutes to make it to our gate, so we cut. Everyone. It was crazy. But no one got mad, strangely enough. Then we RAN to our gate which was the farthest gate humanly possible. We're talking a mile here people. In boots with heels. We must have looked quite comical. When I finally got to the gate (Ashley was carrying her bag so she was way behind), there was no one there. So I ran to the information desk which was surrounded by disgruntled individuals. Ashley and I ran around like chickens with our heads cut off for a while and finally found that we had been told to go to the wrong gate and our plane was running 2 hours late. Awesome. So we sat and recuperated from our impromptu workout.

When we got to Amsterdam, we checked into our hostel and then decided to go out and grab a beer. We walked around Amsterdam, admiring the scenery (the place was gorgeous) and then we stopped and grabbed a bite to eat. Then we went to a bar and met some cool people and just danced and chatted for a while. It was a fun evening.

The next day we decided to go on a little walking adventure around Amsterdam. We went to the red light district and saw the girls in the windows and visited a sex museum. Yes, they have those there. It was interesting and hilarious at the same time. Then we ran into some guys who go to UCLA and are in Zack's frat (Zack is a good friend of Ashley and I). So we grabbed a few beers with them and talked, fun times. Then they went home and Ashley and I went to a dance club. The usual Ashley/Patty-ness ensued and then we went back to our hostel.

Next morning, we rented bikes and biked to the Anne Frank house. It was really moving. Tears were shed. After the Anne Frank house, we biked over to Vondelpark and had the BEST time. I really didn't stop smiling the entire time I was on the bike. I've decided that bike riding in Amsterdam is my new 'happy place'. It was that great. After that we went met the guys at the Van Gogh museum and saw some pretty cool things. I found out that everyone pronounced Van Gogh wrong. It's not van-go, or van-gog as a lot of Europeans pronounce it, it's van-hoch. But weirder. I can't even describe it. It's a sound beyond my auditory comprehension. Anywho, after the museum Ashley and I went on a dinner cruise that we had purchased tickets for earlier. The cruise was so much fun and it was all you can drink. So we just had a great time cruising the canals of Amsterdam, eating and drinking and taking pictures and laughing. We were the only people on the boat who weren't having a romantic evening, sooo funny. After our cruise we went ice skating OUTSIDE! I love doing that, it's only the second time in my life that I've been able to ice skate outside (first was in Chicago). I kept falling over because there were no zambonis involved. That and I'm terribly uncoordinated at times. After ice skating, we went to bar and made some more new friends. I love Europe.

The next day we went to go return the bikes. I got Ashley to bike around Vondelpark one last time before we had to give the bikes up (I really could have biked for hours and hours and hours). After returning the bikes we went to Hard Rock Cafe Amsterdam. We had a really funny waiter and had a great time eating some good American food (I had a pulled pork sandwich, sooo good). After lunch we went back to our hostel. We had received 2 free drinks the day before because of a mix up with our rooms that resulted in us having to change rooms in the middle of our stay. Kinda lame, but the free drinks were pretty legit. So I had a beer and Ashley had a vodka strawberry (strawberry what you ask? nobody knows, it was mystery juice). Then we left EARLY to go to the airport and had a much more leisurely time of it.

Amsterdam was so great. Really, the feeling in the city was just magical. The people were really laid back, I loved that you could bike everywhere super easily, and the city itself was gorgeous. As of right now, my favorite cities in Europe are probably Paris, Rome and Amsterdam. Just don't ask me to put them in order :)

Some pics:
On the dinner cruise!
Hanging out with Ronan, Erik and Scott, our friends from UCLA.
On our way back home, the stress of travel has taken its toll on Ashley.
Free drinks in the hostel!
Candid photos at Hard Rock
We love ice skating!
On a giant chessboard pretending to be horsies
We made up a new phrase for our trip: basta. It means enough in italian. We decided it applies to a lot of things. The two fingers are the symbol for basta.
Yeah, I saw that.
I love my bike!!!!!!!
Acting silly on a bridge
Beautiful Amsterdam streets
Sex museum... now you see.
First night there, hanging out in the bar. Lots of fun and love!

Comments

Opus #6 said…
I wanna go for a bike ride, too! You look great, btw.

Popular posts from this blog

Falling in love with myself

Musings

The Unending Adventures of Hula Hoop and Hawaiian Lion