You've Got to Love Rome

So today started out somewhat poorly. I woke up and talked to Eric for a few minutes, but he was in a bad mood because he had had a bad day, so that already started me off on the wrong foot. I wasn't able to shower this morning because I had to leave for school early so that I could get my name on the list for trips to Pompei and Orvieto. Then, on my way out the door, I realized after walking down 5 floors that I had forgotten the ATM card necessary to go to the bancomat (italian ATM) to get cash to pay for the trips. So I walked back up the 5 floors, grabbed the card and was late to the tram to meet Lina. Then on the tram, I accidentally stepped on some lady's foot and she looked like she was going to kill me. Then the bancomat wouldn't give me all of the euros that I asked for, but at least I was able to get enough to pay for the trips.

I was already beginning to write off the day as one of those anomalies where things just keep going badly, but things started looking alright once I got my name on the list for Pompei. Lina and I had a few hours before we had to meet the class to go the the outdoor market, so we just hung out at the Gustolab (student cafe) for a little while and hung out in the student lounge at the school doing homework. The time spent at the outdoor market was somewhat of a waste because none of the vendors really wanted us there writing down how much their fruit and vegetables cost, and they weren't afraid to tell us. After the market though, things started looking up.


I was able to buy a cell phone today which is good because now I can talk to my friends in Rome. Class wasn't bad. It's hard because I already know everything, but I think that the teacher tries to ask me harder questions, so at least that keeps me on my toes. After class, Lina and I hung out for a few minutes and then we went down to the apperativo. An apperativo is an italian tradition where you go out, buy a drink and then you get to eat unlimited finger food. The food was really good and we got to eat as much as we wanted for 6 euros, but mostly the 6 euros was something that I paid so that I would be able to hang out with friends, since living in a homestay keeps me out of the action sometimes. So I had fun at the apperativo. Here's a picture of Lina, Laura and I at the apperativo:


Afterwards, the three of us decided that we didn't quite want to go home, so we walked to the Pantheon just to sit and talk. We talked for a while, here's a picture of us where we were sitting by the fountain in front of the Pantheon:


After a while though, this man came out and started singing on the street to everyone by the Pantheon. It was wonderful and he was really good and I ended up being able to take a video:



As you can see, he was quite a good singer and it was really phenomenal to be able to sit outside and enjoy the live singing while gazing at the Pantheon by night. It was one of those special experiences that only happen when the stars align just right. So today ended up being a great day after all, thanks to that guy with the amazing voice.

Comments

Opus #6 said…
That video was really cool! Next time take a video of you and your friends, too. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Falling in love with myself

Musings

The Unending Adventures of Hula Hoop and Hawaiian Lion